Thursday, August 27, 2015

I Don't feel Good Today

This is not the blog I had wanted to write today.
I am getting sicker.
We made the 45 minute trip to Yale to meet my surgeon first thing this morning. I have a real bad case of HA-MRSA and the antibiotics are struggling to fight it. Add my compromised immune system due to continuous chemo for so long and you have the potential for a disaster. Potential is quite scary.

When I was rushed to the ER less than two weeks ago with raging fever and terrible pain in my belly, a CT scan showed a build up of fluid under the original incision. I very small slit was made to let all of the fluid drain out. Three days of IV antibiotics and packing of the small wound with medicated material, allowed me to go home  on Aug. 18. on oral antibiotics, visiting nurse and twice a day dressing change.
A good plan.
That has not worked.

The MRSA is winning right now. The wound has opened up the complete length of the 7 inch incision and is deep. It is still growing and draining. Today, the big guns, Infectious Disease Docs, were added to my team. My case is so complicated due to my challenging medical history of past infections and blood clots. We are all in agreement that we want me to stay at home as long as possible because the hospital is WHERE I GOT THE INFECTION. (I have a little bit of resentment). Today, we are still awaiting the results from a culture that was done on Monday, to make sure that we are only dealing with the MRSA.

The packing material has been changed to a different brand and we are going to try to hold the course, day by day. Right now, the infection is growing and spreading. We are praying for the antibiotics to get the upper hand and start winning this match instead of just holding its' own.  In our arsenal, we have several plans that can be implemented at a moments notice, unfortunately the majority involve hospitalization in an isolation ward.

Ken and I held hands most of the drive home while each of our minds were swirling with different thoughts.  He has been so strong. Today broke him though. Tears flowed and they needed to flow. We are on a very slippery slope right now; we cannot allow the MRSA to get into my bloodstream. He feels so helpless, yet he has done so much for me and makes me feel so well taken care of. We prayed together and our conviction to getting through this became even stronger.

We are literally going hour by hour right now. I am trying my best to rest, stay positive, stay hydrated and get the vitamins in. I have absolutely no appetite, but I do have a large protein, veggie, fruit smoothie every day. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are a daily must, too.

All of your kind, supportive words, notes and cards have meant the world to me. I know a lot of people have strong opinions about what or what not I should be doing right now, but I have 100 percent confidence in my team at Yale.

Thank you so much for your prayers.
Peace.
Kim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kim, I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. I think about you constantly, with my heart and soul and the only thing I think about is you feeling better. I am grateful for your love of self, family and life; it’s contagious. I will continue to not fear hope and hope you can feel a bit better tomorrow. Because the sun will come up tomorrow ….
Perhaps the next time you feel a resistance/challenge by the ones who love you, in regards to your care, think about this quote by Anton Chekhov - If there's any illness for which people offer many remedies, you may be sure that particular illness is incurable, I think.
Hugs and Kisses , Karen :) 

Anonymous said...

Wishing things were different, as I know you do. To quote one of my favourite authors:
"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
― A.A. Milne
You're one of the bravest and strongest people I know. Stay brave. Stay strong. Everything will fall into place as it should.
Love & Hugs,
Vilma

Shari said...

I am so proud to call you my friend. I love you, Kim.

God Bless You
Shari