Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year's Resolution

Well, here I go: keeping my New Year's Resolution (okay, it's already Jan.5, I'm a little slow). I've always wanted to write. Have always said I was going to write. Have purchased a million journals to begin to write; now I am writing! I think I have a story. It sure feels like I've been living a story at times (this can't be happening in real life kinda thing). I've been living with breast cancer for 10 years (in June) and I am only 43 years old - almost a 1/4 of my life. It's unbelievable to me because I can remember the day I found out about my cancer like it was yesterday. I can remember exact dates of surgeries, chemo, procedures, scans, etc. as if they took place just this week. I can't remember what I really did do this week, but that's a different story.

I've struggled with what a lot of professionals and even just regular folk say to "not let cancer become your life". But the fact is, it is my life and will always be my life. There is no cure for Stage 4 metastatic cancer, there is just time. So I have decided to embrace this aspect of my life instead of fighting it as I have for the past ten years. That is not to say that I am not fighting the cancer, because I will do that until it takes the last breath from my body, I am just not going to fight the idea of living (cohabiting is a nice word) anymore. It is me, take it or leave it.

I have had a lot of really neat experiences in the past 10 years; a lot of scares, successes and failures. I have fought depression and anxiety just as hard as I have fought the cancer. I want to use this forum as a way to share and to preserve memories that I have. I hope that this blog may also help anyone else that is newly diagnosed with cancer, or is living with metastatic disease, like me

I titled this site 10 Years of Pink for obvious reasons. Just about everything I own now is pink. Clothes, jewelry, cookware, bedding, umbrellas, etc - so many trinkets from loving well wishers. Fortunately, I love the color pink, it has always been my favorite color. Long ago, when I was going through the "Why me" stage (again), I wondered if my life would be different if pink wasn't my favorite color. At least the color looks good on me!

KG

No comments: