Sunday, January 13, 2008

Calm Before The Storm

The early morning newscasters are all in a tizzy this morning. It's supposed to snow tonight. It's supposed to snow quite a bit tonight. It's supposed to snow more more than it has snowed since February of 2006. PREPARE!! This always cracks me up since we live in New England and it is supposed to snow a bunch in January.

Of course the kids are ecstatic because more than likely we will have no school on Monday. But first, they will both set their alarms earlier than normal, to see if they can go back to sleep, but by the time "West Hartford" scrolls on the screen, they are wide awake. So actually, they are up earlier on a snow day than they would be on a school day. Go figure.

Torrie, especially, wants it to snow. He received a brand new sled from Santa that he's dying to use. I really don't know if you can actually even call it a sled - it's more like a five foot piece of slick plastic. I almost broke my neck when I accidentally stepped on it in the living room and slid completely into the family room. It does have four handles on it - probably for when you become airborne! He has been waiting patiently for a good snow storm so that we could go out to the golf course and hit the hills. He did ask if he could try the stunt that was in the movie 'Home Alone', where the kid opened the front door and slid down the staircase and across the front lawn. One guess for what my answer was.

I love snow. I love how clean and pristine it looks. Everything slows down because a lot of things close. Fewer cars, etc. The first hours before the snow plows come are the best. Once the plows come though - time to work so we can get back to work.

I live in a GREAT neighborhood. It rarely fails that when we get a big storm, Ken is on the road. In fact, he leaves tonight for three days with the BIG STORM coming. In the past, when I was sick and Ken was gone, my driveway magically got plowed. Almost like the Christmas Elves looking for another job now that Christmas is over. It wasn't just one neighbor, many of them came to help out. I had a hysterectomy after my first metastasis because my ovaries and uterus looked questionable. I was then plagued with incisional hernias. Shoveling snow isn't good for hernias, trust me on that one. So anyway, my great neighbors always helped me out, as I am sure they will again tomorrow.

Ken and I have learned a lot from our neighbors about giving and helping others. You could write a 'How To' book on being a good neighbor based on this group of people. When I was hospitalized at length several times, our neighbors took over everything for Ken and me. Meals were delivered, kids were babysat, groceries were bought, dogs were walked, our lawn was mowed, etc. And they were never asked to do it. They all just showed up and took charge. My friend Mary Ann basically moved in (leaving her job and family) so that Ken could still travel for an important meeting. She got the kids up, dressed and to school, did laundry and made meals, then picked up my kids and helped with homework, etc. She was truly an Angel for my family. Once I was in the hospital for Easter and the gals in my neighborhood got up in the attic, found Easter baskets, and took care of everything for Ken and me. It was such a relief to know my young children and Ken were being taken such good care of. It made my recovery much easier.

So, here comes the snow. And all around town tomorrow friends will be helping each other out. If it isn't snowing where you live tomorrow, maybe there is still a way you can help a neighbor out. You'll feel good and so will they.

Have a great (snow) day!
KG

No comments: