Thursday, September 22, 2016

Thoughts on Going Home

"Can you add a single moment your life by worrying?" Matthew 7:27

Anxiety is a thief.
The combination of fear and uncertainty robs us of drive, desire, compassion, and most importantly, peace.

What do we have to fear when we put our trust in Him?Believing in God doesb't mean we will never experience uncertainty. We will always incur situations that cause us fear, pain and worry. The key to our faith is to consciously Let Go (visualize) of our anxiety and fears instead, completely trust (it's scary at first!)God to provide forum needs in His time and in His way.

When we dob't give away our anxieties (or don't COMPLETELY giv them away) fear and doubt become entrenched in our thinking and develop into a stronghold. Then negative forces will dig in and use every resource to build up our apprehension. This is what anxiety looks like - a sense of fear that overwhelms our faith.

Someone who has not totally surrendered their anxieties to God sounds like this: "I know God is capable of dealing with the problems in my life, but I'm just not sure He will". Then they take back their anxiety by trying to fix their problems themselves.

God sees the beginning and the end of every situation that we face. He knows the root of our anxiety, the best way to calm our heart, and how to turn sadness into joy. "Cast all your worries upon him because He cares for you", 1Peter 5:7

He will do all of this for us without leaving our side, because He loves us deeply and wants to bless us with peace and calm. We have only to reach out our hearts to Him and trust.

Living by faith guarantees hardship when a person decides to totally surrender to God and try to listen to and obey at all times. This was a hard pill for me to swallow. For some reason, when I decided to trust God completely and stop worrying, I thought things would be easy, breezy. Not. Sometimes, we are made to make painful sacrifices. Often we have to go forward by faith in spite of challenges. It can be very hard to trust so completely...like we are helpless children once again.

We are assured by Scripture that adversity produces a deeper intimacy with God. "The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little", 1Peter 5:10. Obviously, God and I have a different definition for the words 'a little', but I have never been so sure of anything in my life. Every single health challenge, or any other adversity, not only have I come out of virtually unscathed, but also I have learned so many lessons and become even closer to God each time. He has a plan for my life, I am along for the ride.

Hardships are inevitable. We could try everything in our power to avoid them, but they will still occur.  However, these hardships are not for us to question 'Why, God?', but rather to state "I have only to remain still and God will fight for me", Exodus 14:14. We must meet the challenge head on and go forward in our faith.

"I have only to remain still"... remain still...sit for a while in quiet...be still.

On many mornings I felt wobbly because while in the hospital, I was looking at difficult times looming ahead. How can I work with this drain? How can I pull off this party on October 1 for everyone to see the studio? How would I manage the pain? Blah, blah,  blah... I was looking at the future through my eyes and mind and only with my strength. It looked impossible. Also, I was worrying about future issues and not focusing on just today. But finally, when I took the time each morning to close my eyes, breathe, and center myself in the present moment, that's where I found God, waiting for me. Since He is my strength, He can empower me to handle each task as it comes. He has the power to make this beat up body of mine perform near miraculous tasks for myself.

I must keep bringing my mind to the present moment.
Breathe. Find my anchor.
It is an amazing fact that only humans can anticipate a myriad of future events and possible worrisome scenarios. This ability is a blessing, but easily can become a curse. If we use our minds to worry about tomorrow, we are actually practicing unbelief - we haven't truly turned our will over to God. But each time we sit quietly and return our minds to the present moment, we allow God to take care of us  and the future. This is the core of mindfulness meditation. Stop planning, controlling, worrying.

A week ago, I was doubled over with infection in my belly and everything looked bleak as I anticipated what would happen to me.  But hour by hour, I began to see God's hand in mine and the miracles, once again, began happening to me.

Today, I am going home. Once again, I have emerged from a very bad situation, basically unscathed. I do have an annoying drain hanging from me until the infection is completely gone, but I look at it as some kind of touchstone, a constant reminder of how exceptional my recovery has been. For the fourth time in less than two years, I have fought MRSA and won. My last wonderful, 'really good' PET scan showed no cancer in my body, giving me the opportunity to stop treatment. And that allowed me to pursue my dream of opening a meditation studio to teach people the most important thing I've learned in my life: to remain still, to just Be, and allow God to fight for me.

I live for today, right now, right here. Infection could come back, or not; cancer could come back, or not. But I'm not going to add one more moment to my life worrying about it. I am in awe of all of the miracles God has blessed me with, especially my studio.

Miracles?
Or just maybe, God's Will for me.

Namaste.
Kim

1 comment:

Patty Connelly-Cohen (home) said...

So powerful Kim. Thank-you for sharing your milestones. I am moved by your unfaltering strength and courage, and so grateful you are in my life. ��